The Kennedy Center Has Agreed Not to Restore President Donald Trump’s Name to Its Facade Before Sept. 8
The Kennedy Center will hold off until at least Sept. 8 before attempting to restore President Donald Trump’s name to its facade, temporarily pausing the latest chapter in a growing legal battle over the Washington performing arts institution.
The commitment was disclosed in a federal court filing this week after attorneys for Rep. Joyce Beatty, D-Ohio, an ex officio member of the Kennedy Center board, asked U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper to intervene before the board carries out a new resolution placing Trump’s name back on the building.
The Kennedy Center said it would not move forward before Sept. 8 “at the earliest,” giving the parties additional time to make their arguments in court. Beatty’s attorneys contend there is reason to believe the board could act quickly once that deadline passes.
Judge Previously Ordered Trump’s Name Removed
The dispute follows Cooper’s May ruling that the Kennedy Center board exceeded its legal authority when it added Trump’s name to the institution.
Cooper found that Congress named the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and that the board could not unilaterally alter that congressionally designated name. His ruling also blocked an earlier effort to close the center for two years for major renovations.
Trump’s name was subsequently removed from the facade after courts rejected efforts to delay the order.
The Kennedy Center board, however, renewed the naming effort during an August meeting.
Board members approved adding Trump’s name to the facade so the building would read: “The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Restored and Renovated By President Donald J. Trump.”
The resolution also calls for the plaza outside the center to be named for Trump. According to court filings, another reference to the president could be added if the Trump Kennedy Center Fund reaches $100 million.
Beatty has argued that the latest action is another attempt to sidestep the federal court’s ruling.
Renovation Plan Adds Another Legal Dispute
The board also backed a two-year closure of much of the Kennedy Center for major renovations.
Kennedy Center officials have said an analysis from Delta Consulting Group favored a full closure over attempting construction while performances continued, citing safety, cost and prolonged disruptions.
But the closure itself has faced legal scrutiny. Cooper previously criticized the board’s earlier decision-making process and blocked its first two-year shutdown plan.
Beatty’s attorneys have also questioned the process surrounding the August board meeting, including how much time members had to review materials before voting.
The effects of the renovation plans are already spreading beyond the building. The National Symphony Orchestra announced that its 2026-27 season will be split among six venues across the Washington area while Kennedy Center operations are disrupted.
Meanwhile, a tarp remains over the portion of the Kennedy Center facade where Trump’s name had previously appeared. The center has declined to promise that it will remove the covering, telling the court that it is also being used for water testing and structural work.
For now, the Sept. 8 commitment prevents another immediate change to the building. But the larger question — whether the board has the legal authority to restore Trump’s name after a federal judge ordered it removed — remains unresolved.
Another attempt to change the facade could bring the Kennedy Center back before Cooper and extend a legal fight over who ultimately controls the identity of one of the nation’s most prominent cultural institutions.




