Judge John Roach Removed From Karmelo Anthony Case by Senior San Antonio Judge Sid Harle

Senior Judge Sid Harle, Who Traveled from San Antonio, Removed Judge John Roach from Karmelo Anthony’s Post-Trial Proceedings

Senior Judge Sid Harle, who traveled from San Antonio to hear the matter, has removed Judge John Roach from further proceedings in the Karmelo Anthony case.

Harle granted Anthony’s motion to recuse Roach during a Wednesday hearing in Collin County. The decision means a different judge will consider Anthony’s pending motion for a new trial.

Anthony’s legal team welcomed the ruling, arguing that Roach’s public conduct following the trial created reasonable questions about whether he could impartially consider the request for another trial.

Anthony Serving 35-Year Sentence

Anthony was convicted of murder and sentenced to 35 years in prison in June for the fatal stabbing of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf during a 2025 high school track meet in Frisco.

Anthony maintained that he acted in self-defense during the confrontation, but the jury rejected that claim.

The recusal ruling does not overturn Anthony’s conviction or grant him a new trial. It only removes Roach from deciding Anthony’s post-trial motions.

Conservative Judge John Roach Jr. Photo: Judge Roach website
Conservative Judge John Roach Jr. Photo: Judge Roach website

Defense Challenged Judge’s Public Comments

Anthony’s attorneys sought Roach’s removal after the judge made several public comments following the trial.

The defense cited a June 11 television interview—two days after Anthony’s sentencing—in which Roach discussed the jury’s verdict, the fairness of the trial and his own courtroom rulings.

The legal team also pointed to a public letter Roach issued June 17 to “members of the Collin County Family.”

“Each of you contributed to ensuring the process was conducted fairly, safely, and with the dignity our citizens deserve,” Roach wrote.

Anthony’s attorneys also cited a June 19 statement Roach provided to Fox News concerning transparency. The defense contrasted those public comments with restrictions placed on media access to the trial and a gag order that had limited what other parties could publicly say about the case.

Legal Team Welcomes Roach’s Removal

“We are pleased that Judge Sid Harle granted his motion to recuse Judge John Roach from further proceedings in this case,” Anthony’s legal team said in a statement.

The attorneys said the central question was whether a reasonable and fully informed observer could examine Roach’s conduct and believe he could fairly consider Anthony’s motion for a new trial.

“We believe for the facts and reasons addressed in the motion and applicable law that the judge was correct in granting the motion to recuse,” the legal team said.

Harle reportedly indicated that he believed Roach could remain personally impartial but determined that the legal standard requiring judges to avoid a reasonable appearance of partiality had been met.

“We respect the Court’s ruling on the facts and look forward to presenting the merits of Karmelo’s motion for a new trial to a fair and independent judge,” Anthony’s attorneys said.

Prosecutors opposed Roach’s removal.

Anthony is scheduled to return to court Thursday, Aug. 20, when his attorneys will present their motion for a new trial before a different judge.

“We will work to ensure Karmelo receives every protection and every measure of due process guaranteed to him under the Constitution of the United States and the laws of the State of Texas,” his legal team said.

Read Next: Jason Arday Vigil Draws Thousands After Cambridge Professor’s Death

Related Articles

CPS Half page

Latest Articles